Sunday, February 9, 2014

No TAG, More Progress

I decided not to participate in The Arbitrary Game Jam and instead use this weekend to complete more work on my 1GAM game. Here are some things I've accomplished since my last update.

  • bullets are now created at the center of the hit box and not in the top left corner (the origin point)
  • enemies and the player now have health. Enemies still die to one shot but this framework will allow me to build other tougher enemies on top of it.
  • the health of the player is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the view
  • enemies now spawn by flying saucer
Before the weekend is out I hope to get the saucers coming from random locations, make it so the enemies can't spawn in walls, add in player death and a game over screen, and randomize certain variables in the enemy AI in order to give them a more 'organic' feel. What I mean is that if I randomize their speed (within a range of say, 2-3) then the enemies won't all move at precisely the same speed. I can also randomize how long they'll give chase, how far outside the view they have to stray before they're destroyed, their site range, how often they shoot, etc. This way the enemies won't be 100% predictable.
Finally, this upcoming week I'll be doing almost exclusively art work. As always I'll start with the basics and then do the more extravagant stuff after I have the bare minimum done.
Anyway, here's a screenshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment