Friday, February 14, 2014

Lots of Changes

Right now I'm at work on my lunch break. I was going to make this post last night but I instead decided to get some sleep before work the next day. Anyway, I've made some progress and a bunch of changes. I also fear that I won't want to submit at the end of the month.
First things first, the changes. The perspective I was using, the "top left" lean of the sprites, was too difficult for me and my limited spriting experience to handle. So I changed the perspective to traditional isometrics used in a lot of old school rpgs. It makes spriting less of a headache which is extremely important because of the amount of time it's taking to make the sprites.
I don't usually make games that require a lot of spriting mostly because of the time factor. In a weekend long game jam it's near impossible to code and sprite an entire game all by my lonesome. This time I figured I had a month. Well, I was supposed to do all the basic spriting this week but it's Friday and I barely have the player done. It's also because it's been hectic at work but whatever the reasoning behind me being behind schedule the fact remains. I am behind schedule.
Last night I was contemplating pushing the game back another month or two. To me this seems like the only course of action available to me in order to complete a good 'first level.' I still believe that a month or two more may be the best option but I'm going to continue as if I'm releasing at the end of the month. I thought this past week was week 3 but it was in fact week 2. This is important for a few reasons. Firstly, I have more time to catch up to my schedule. Secondly, I'm only halfway through and if I had an actual level designed it would be a playable game. Finally, I don't feel as pressed for time if I am going to submit the most basic version of this game.
I don't wanna submit the most basic version. With a little effort and maybe one months more time I can create enough assets and features that from there I could just build levels. I could work on actual cut scenes and/or dialogue. It wouldn't have to be a bare bones run and gun game but can include the roleplaying elements I wanted to include such as skill trees, inventory, hacking (maybe mini games), true menus, and all the polish.
This game is in a state not unlike Schrodinger's cat. It is going to be done at the end of the month and it's not going to be done at the end of the month. I'll upload screen shots when I get home from work. Time to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment